Hydraulic Plantation: background information, continued
A vital post-war African-American community grew up near Hydraulic, centered on Union Ridge Baptist Church and a school, which later developed into the Albemarle Training School. The original house at Hydraulic (by then called Redbrook) burned in 1939 and the site of the mills vanished with the creation of the Rivanna Reservoir in 1966.
Figure 4: Union Ridge Baptist Church. Photograph by Lynn Rainville.